Thursday, June 12, 2008

Give us our due!


I saw these group of workers of the John Holt company protesting near my office yesterday. I learnt that the shipping division of the company was closed down and the staff laid off so the national union decided to picket the organisation's premises in order to press home their demands for reinstatement of their colleagues. I hope they get their wishes.


Today is June 12, a public holiday in Lagos to commemorate the freest and fairest elections ever held in Nigeria, June 12 1993, which was unfortunately annulled by the military junta then. Nigeria has since returned to civilian rule but there's still much left to be desired in the way our leaders rule.

1 comment:

Dan said...

Well that is interesting. Would they really expect a company that has closed to reopen and give them their jobs back? Seems to me that once a company shuts the doors the show is about over.