Friday, November 19, 2010

EMUfest: Festival of folk music

Folk singer and recording artiste Beautiful Nubia (seated) will be headlining the premier edition of the EniObanke Music Festival next weekend in Ile Ife and Osogbo, both culturally important cities in the South West of Nigeria. The festival holds at the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife (by the way its my alma mater) and at the Delightsome Hotel Resort in Osogbo on November 27/28.

Other artistes billed for the festival are Afrobeat innovator Orlando Julius Ekemode and folklorist Jimi Solanke as well as diva Yinka Davies.

Beautiful Nubia (a.k.a Segun Akinlolu), someone I deeply respect, is a leading light in the cultural renaissance movement in Nigeria. A poet, song writer and band leader whose hit album Jangbalajugbu served as soundtrack during my final year at university six years ago.

In the next few days I will post images of him from a concert I attended in May.

No comments: