Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Fans in Nelspruit - 2013 Africa Cup of Nations

I am reporting the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations in South Africa for football website Goal.com Nigeria where I work full time. It has been an exciting time in Nelspruit/Mbombela where the Nigeria national football team are based. I arrived late in the city for the Group C opening matches on Monday but I was able to catch a few photos of fans who'd come from all over the continent to cheer their teams to victory.

By far the most boisterous are the Ethiopian fans who returned to the tournament after 31 years. Many of them drove all the way from Addis Ababa to witness this grand occasion. They were rewarded for their enthusiasm as their team drew 1-1 against defending champions Zambia on Monday night.

Nigeria fans were left disappointed after Burkina Faso scored late to earn a 1-1 draw in the second game.

Here I present a few of my photos.  






2 comments:

max lee said...

Awesome Limited Edition "If Lost Return to Lagos" T-Shirt #ifLost @nikolasalex. Reserve yours @ http://goo.gl/9jze8. 2B Found is it’s Got 2B Worn!

ThePhotocentric.com said...

this is really cool stuff.. i like! in love with photography